Commercial Piracy Report 2005
Fact Sheet on Spain
The legitimate market
- Sales of recorded music in Spain fell by 32% since 2000. In 2004 Spain saw a value decline of 12.5%
The pirate market
- Spain has the biggest pirate music market in Western Europe. 16 million pirate products were sold in 2004 - more than in any other Western
- The Spanish piracy rate is 24%
- Spain has the worst CD-R problem in Western Europe and piracy of DVD music videos is also at its highest in the country.
- Spain and Italy are the only two countries that feature in the world's top ten legitimate markets that have piracy levels above 20%.
- The value of the pirate market in Spain totalled $US77 million.